Professor, International Economics Pictet Chair in Finance and Development at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Laurea in Political Sciences, University of Turin; Master in Economics, CoripePiedmont; Ph.D. and M. A. in Economics, The Johns Hopkins University.
Ugo Panizza is Professor of International Economics at the Graduate Institute of Geneva and Deputy Director of the Institute’s Centre for Finance and Development. Ugo Panizza has been a Visiting Professor at the Institute since 2008, a position he held in addition to being the Chief of the Debt and Finance Analysis Unit at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. He is the Director of the Center for Finance and Development, Director of the International Centre for Monetary and Banking Studies (ICMB), Vice President and Fellow of CEPR, Fellow of the Fondazione Einaudi, and Editor-in-Chief of International Development Policy. Previously, he worked at the Inter-American Development Bank and the World Bank, alongside holding teaching and research posts at the American University of Beirut and the University of Turin. Professor Panizza’s research interests include international finance, sovereign debt, banking, and political economy. He has extensive work and research experience in Latin America and the Middle East and North Africa.
- Legal Air Cover, Patrick Bolton, Mitu Gulati, Ugo Panizza, CEPR Discussion Paper & IHEID WPS, forthcoming.
- How to Prevent a Foreign Debt Disaster, with P. Bolton, L. Buchheit, P.O. Gourinchas, M. Gulati, C.T. Hsieh, and B. Weder di Mauro, Foreign Affairs, June 4, 2020.
- Covid-19 in Developing Economies (editor, with Simeon Djankov), CEPR eBook, May 2020, also VoxEU.
- Born Out of Necessity: A Debt Standstill for COVID-19, with P. Bolton, L. Buchheit, P.O. Gourinchas, M. Gulati, C.T. Hsieh, and B. Weder di Mauro, CEPR Policy Insight, also VoxEU (2020).
- Local Currency Denominated Sovereign Loans – A Portfolio Approach to Tackle Moral Hazard and Provide Insurance, (with Filippo Taddei) IHEID Working Paper (2020).
- Make-Wholes in Sovereign Bonds (Not Sure Why They Are There, But They May Be Free), with Mitu Gulati, CEPR DP (2020).
- When Governments Promise to Prioritize Public Debt: Do Markets Care?, (with Mitu Gulati, Mark Weidemaier, & Gracie Willingham,) Journal of Financial Regulation (2019).